Internship Week 3

This week as a short week for my internship at the Seaport Museum because on Thursday and Friday I was in Washington D.C. for the nonprofit I work for, the Botstiber Foundation. It was their annual board meeting and I went to assist as well as present what I had done so far as their grant historian.

But back to ay work on the Becuna, on Monday Greg and I finished with the rest of the primary inventory, which went much faster as there was not as much stuff in the latter parts of the submarine. After we finished, we began to load all the documents we found into boxes and bring them over to the archives for processing. This was very labor intensive since manuring within the submarine is quite difficult. After two trips with boxes loaded on a cart, we moved most of the material into the archives. There remains about a box to a box and half still on the submarine, but we did not have time to finish on Monday and Tuesday the weather prevented us from moving the material without it getting soaked by the rain.

IMG_3068
One of the trips moving the documents off the Becuna

On Tuesday, I began the process again of having to work through all the new material to determine what types of documents we had. I was able to work through about four of the eight boxes and rehoused the documents in folders and begin to develop a sense of how the collection will ultimately be managed. Similar to the material that had already been moved to the archives, this material was mainly manuals and instructions but there were some interesting pieces that would have more cultural research use rather than the technical use that most of the collection will be focused on. These cultural documents, included menus from the crew mess and a letter. Anther interesting piece that will need to be examined is an old film reel that does have images on it but we could not tell what the images were, so hopefully we can find an old film projector to see what the video is. One other important addition to the Becuna collection besides what was ion the submarine is material from the Olympia Association, whose collection is also currently being processed. When material is found to deal with the Becuna, we are moving into the Becuna collection to make it easier for researchers to find and use. One of the interesting things I discovered while reading through these materials is that the Associations did not originally try to save the Becuna, they requested a different submarine but it was sold for scrap and then the Navy gave the Association a few years later since it was the first to come up for retirement. This showed the Becuna was saved in some ways simply because it was there at the right time.

 

P.S. There will not be a post for next week since I will be down the shore for vacation. Regular interning and blogging will resume the following week.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s