Internship Week 5

Another week in the books for my internship at the Seaport Museum. Monday was a big day because it marked the removing of the last of the documents from the Becuna. With all the material off, I was able to complete the intellectual assessment of the collection and fully develop how to organize the collection. After discussing my plan with Terry, we decided to keep the main format that I layout in the last blog but to separate the blue prints and manuals into their own series as well as the Olympia Association  and the Independence Seaport Museum into their own. This new divisions make sense because they make the collection easier to navigate for researchers and allow each series to stand on its own instead of being combined with other similar but distinct parts of the collection.

Tuesday started with a break from my main task and revolved around doing work for the archives in general. We spent the morning moving a number of collections from the main storage in the archives to the secondary storage area in the basement and then bringing up a collection that was going to be processed. After about two hours of moving boxes, we then cataloged where the new locations of the collections in terms of unit and shelf so that they can be easily be founded when needed in the future. While not directly related to my processing of the Becuna collection, this task highlight the importance of space management when running an archives. This is because one has to control how much one has in the limited area but also must make sure that everything is where it is suppose to be so that it can be found and used by researchers.

Once we finished this project, I began processing the Becuna collection, beginning with the blue prints. This will make up the first series in the collection. This process is a bit monotonous since it involves taking the blue prints out of their old diesel smelling folders and placing them in archival folders and then marking on the folder and a sheet the name and number of the folder. However, while it is not the most exciting part, it is the most importance because this will allow the collection to finally be used easily by researchers.

(Also I worked 19 hours this week and 13 hours the previous week)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s